Sunday, November 15, 2015

Visit to Florida and Dayton

Buenos Dias mis amigos! Well, I spent the last week in Florida and it was a great time for me. 
As I mentioned before, the first part of my trip I was in the Hollywood/Fort Lauderdale area to witness a Wedding of a former student of mine at Chaminade-Madonna College Preparatory.  It was great to be with Andy and Jackie on their special day.  We spent some time together on Thursday finalizing plans for the rehearsal, catching up, and discussing future possibilities.  I went to bed that night grateful for the job both of their parents did in raising them, and a little proud of my school and the part it played in helping Andy grow up into the man that he is today.  I had an opportunity to visit the school and see many of my former colleagues and friends.  Its always good to see so many people who had a positive influence in my life over the years.  I lived and worked in Hollywood from 1992-1996 and again from 2000-2008, and there are many faculty/staff people still at the school who knew me when I was much younger and actually still like me! We had the rehearsal on Friday afternoon and all went well.... the Wedding party had 27 people in total! The dinner followed at the culinary school for Miami Dade College which was located in downtown Miami.  The restaurant overlooked the city and the view from the 8th floor was spectacular.  The Wedding was held on Saturday evening and all looked stunning.  The ceremony itself was beautiful and classy.  Since both sets of parents have an American father and a Latina mother, I prayed the Eucharistic prayer in Spanish.... so glad I had plenty of practice up until that point.  The reception was held in an old bank building which is now used for parties and receptions.  You had to go to an old time, gold plated, tellers window in order to get your drink.  Let's just say, I made several withdrawals that night! I went to the Wedding with my good friend Carol and we had a great time talking, dancing, and catching up with other C-M alums who also attended the Wedding.  I was so grateful to be part of this important day and honored that I was asked to play a small role in the beginning of Andy and Jackie's marriage.  Lot's of hugs, kisses and well wishes were expressed all night long.

After the Wedding I drove up to Orlando to visit with my dad.  My dad just moved into an Assisted Living Center and so it was good that I was able to be there with him while everything was still new.  I was able to tie up some loose ends from the move which was a help to my two other brothers who really did the lion's share of work for this move.  We had a good time together.  I met some of the people with whom he shares meals, purchased a new phone and new plan for him, and showed him how to turn on and off the TV about 25 times!  We do have a good time together, and I think he really appreciates when I call him or visit him.  This visit was a bit more difficult because usually when I visited in the past, I stayed in the apartment with him.  This time I had to stay in a hotel, so many of the more "informal" things that occur when we are just hanging out together did not happen.  During the visit I was also able to visit with my brother Jimmy and his family on two occasions.  It was great spending a few hours each day with them.  So, my time in Orlando was spent visiting, and traveling in the car because my dad's place is about a 40 minute car ride to my brother's house.  It was good to see my niece's and nephew and catch up with them about their coming's and going's. 

Right now I am in Dayton, OH.  Today we begin Provincial Council meetings.  I arrived Friday eve and was part of the celebration at the Novitiate where they blessed the house and consecrated the Chapel.  During this weekend, there was also a meeting for our younger members of our community who are in various stages of formation.  It was great to spend time with them and hear of their struggles and successes as they continue to discern Marianist religious life.  The weather here has been pretty chilly! I went from 85 degree weather in Florida to 40s and 50s here in Dayton.  Needless to say, my suitcase was packed with all different types of clothing.  I have been able to get outside and walk around the property and spend some time doing little things here and there that needed to be completed.  I look forward to our meetings over the next 2 days and will have an opportunity to report on the next stages of the educational project.  So, all in all, things are good.  I actually miss praying and speaking in Spanish, and I hope that I am not getting rusty right now!!!!

As always, any good experience we have in life is usually a result of being around good people.  I was definitely around really good people over the past 8 days, so I had a really good experience! All for now, will write again once I return to Mexico.  Muchos abrazos.

No comments:

Post a Comment