Monday, November 2, 2015

Halloween/All Saints/All Souls

Aloha amigos! Well, I seem to be getting into a late posting pattern here.  I have great intentions during the weekend, but then find myself busy with many things, so I don't always have the time nor energy to sit down and think about the past week.  Well, it was a very interesting and busy past week.  Some highlights:

1) Meeting last weekend:
As I indicated in my last post we had a meeting of all the Brothers in the Sector last Saturday to discuss the future educational project, formation, and vocations.  The meeting went well.  Well, I found out during this week that I made yet another language fauxpaux  during the meeting.  As part of the evaluation process I handed out 4 questions for each of the Brothers to reflect on and then share with the larger group.  The first question was a "standard" question we might ask in the US...." From what you heard during our time together, what excites you the most?". Simple enough question... well when I translated excited I used the word excited which is only used in Spanish when referring to sexual excitement!!!!! While the Brothers were reflecting on the question, several brothers asked me what I meant by the first question.  At the time I was thinking to myself, well this is an fairly simple and straightforward question, why all the discussion and questions?  Well, after learning about my fauxpaux, their hesitancy to answer the question made total sense to me.  Needless to say, I had a good and needed laugh at that situation!!!

2) School
This past week was a good week at school but I still find myself having days where I understand everything and days when I feel like I don't even know one word in Spanish! We had a fun time in our conversation class and on Friday we took a field trip in the Centro to view altars that were being constructed in honor of El Dia De Los Muertos (Day of the Dead, or for us Gringos, All Souls Day).  They really celebrate this day in a big way.  There is even a "Mercado" (market) in the Centro for Los Muertos.  All the vendors set up shop on the 29th of October and they finish selling their wares on Nov 2nd.  Some pictures of some altars and the Mercado follow.  Each of the altars are created in honor of usually one person and the altars are arranged with personal items of the deceased, symbols that represent the deceased, some food (and tequila), flowers, skulls, candles and many other objects. We had a great time looking at all the altars and going through the Mercado looking at all the items for sale.
Altar at the School

Altar in honor of Junipero Serra

Altar in a Government Building

More of the Altar above

Mercado de los Muertos

Mercado

Mercado

Mercado
 
 
Halloween is not a big holiday in Mexico, but the American influence is starting to come to Mexico.  So in the Mercado you can also find some things for Halloween, but Trick or Treating has not really made its way to Mexico yet.... but dressing up in costumes has begun to become popular.
 
3) Meeting with the Architect
We had another meeting with the architect to revise plans for the school.  This was a lengthy and confusing meeting.  All of the items we wanted included from the previous meeting did not make it into the new proposed budget, so.... we will have to wait for a new budget, but the conversation and dialogue was a good one to have, it helped clarify some of the differing opinions we have internally about the project.  It is always better to talk about these things prior to the construction company starts pouring cement!!!!  If you've ever been involved in construction before you know that the word "change order" is almost like a curse for the project and for the budget!
 
4) Sunday, Feast of All Saints
I had the 8:30am Mass at the big Chapel in the colonia. It was packed!!! I was ready, but still nervous, especially with all the people gathered for the Mass.  One of our older American priests ( Fr. Quentin) just returned from leading a retreat for one of our Brothers who will profess Final Vows at the end of January.  Fr. Quentin concelebrated with me.  He is a former Superior General of my community and really a Marianist legend and hero for many.  So, needless to say, I was feeling even a little more pressure! Well, things went well, and all the Brothers told me they really enjoyed my homily.  Fr. Quentin told me how impressed he was and he stated that what I did on Sunday, it took him three years in Mexico to do.  Well....I think he might have been exaggerating, but I did appreciate the compliment none the less. 
 
5) Last Day of Classes
Today was my last day of classes at the Language School.  I completed 7 weeks of classes over the past 10 weeks. I still have much to learn, but I am ready to just keep learning by practicing and making mistakes.  I completed the mid intermediate level of Spanish.  I enjoyed my time at the school and do feel like I've learned a lot, but I am also tired of the commute each day and the time it takes me away from the community.  I will need to be spend more time with the Brothers and more time on the property especially as we begin the construction process. 
 
I will be headed back to the US for two weeks to witness a Wedding in Florida of an alum of Chaminade-Madonna, then I will visit my father in Orlando.  He just moved into an Assisted Living Center today, so the timing of my visit will be good for him and for me to see him in his new environment.  I will end my time in the US back in Dayton for Provincial Council meetings.  I will try and post and keep you updated during my trip.  I'm sure there will be plenty to report. 
 
So, as usual, here is my homily for Todos Los Santos (All Saints)
 
Today is one of my favorite feast days in the Church calendar.  Today we celebrate the many men and women who have gone before us in faith who have lived a life that the Church states is worthy of example.  There are so many faith filled men and women who have lived ordinary lives but have done extraordinary things because of their love for the Lord.  They have become known as saints.  Now there are thousands of men and women who are “official” saints, but you and I probably know many other men and women who have lived ordinary lives but have done extraordinary things because of their love for the Lord.  I imagine that each of us here could think of several people among our friends and relatives whom we would consider as saints.  Amen?
And so, who is a saint?  A saint is a friend of God.  A person who is committed to doing the right thing for the right reasons.  A person who looks out for others, who considers others needs before their own, who sacrifice and who try to see the goodness in others.  This description certainly sounds like a parent and grandparent…Amen?  We are all called to be saints. Yes, it is important to reflect upon the lives of people such as St. Francis, St. Dominic, St. Ignatius, St. Therese, St. Terese, Mother Teresa, and many others who are sharing love with God in heaven, but today we should think about ourselves, and how we can be the saints that God wants us to be.
So, how can we grow in holiness?  How can we be holy as God is holy.  The reading today give us a glimpse into how to live a life of holiness.  Do you want to be holy?  Say Amen if you want to be holy.  Repeat after me, I want to be holy!!
The first reading provides us with a wonderful image.  An image of all those who are redeemed because of their belief in Jesus Christ. They are wearing white- the image of the baptismal garment and they have remained faithful to Jesus through trial and tribulation.  They can’t help but praise God because of Jesus Christ, the Lamb who shed his blood for us.  When I imagine this scene, I think of my mother and grandmothers who are now deceased, but who have remained faithful to Jesus through trial and tribulation, through the joys and pains of life, who sacrificed much for their family and are now singing the praises of God in heaven.  When I think of this feast I think of my mom and grandmothers.  Who do you think of?
In the first letter of John, we are reminded that all of us are God’s children because God first loved us.  We are God’s children now, we do not know what the future will hold for any of us.  We should rejoice in knowing that as children of God we have a special relationship with God as our parent and Jesus as our brother.  When we know we are loved and part of a family, we then can act in a way that celebrates this special relationship.  When we know we are God’s children, nothing can separate us from that special relationship. Even hardship and death does not separate us from this special relationship.  When I think of some of the saints in my life who encountered many trials and painful deaths I think of Br. Charles Roggemann, Br. George Dury, Fr. Richard Knuge, Fr. John McEnhill, Fr. Michael Barber.  These men, even in their suffering, knew that they were God’s children and lived their lives with that message.  When I think of this feast, I think of these men.  Who do you think of?
And finally, if we are to be saints, then we are to live our lives as people who follow the Beatitudes as proclaimed in the Gospel of Mark.  Saints are people who are poor in spirit, who mourn, who suffer, who hunger and thirst for justice, who are merciful, who are pure of heart, who work for peace, who are persecuted, and who are injured because of their faith.  Saints are people who live out the beatitudes and who know in their lives that they have seen glimpses of the reign of God, by comforting the sorrowful, and living a life of humility, mercy, and service because they see God in their daily lives and work to bring peace to every situation.  When I think of people who live the Beatitudes in their life I think of people like my Aunt Alice, Laura Friscia, Becky Swofford, Carol LaMont, Dianne Mistelkse, Joanne Bolooki, Br. Tom Pieper, Br. Brandon Paluch, Sr. Nicole Trahan.  Unlike the others who remind me of saints, this list is of living saints.  People who live ordinary lives and who try to do extraordinary things for God.  There are Beatitude people all around us.  I am sure you have some in your family and in this Church.  Who do you think of when you think of Beatitude people?
So, I am so glad that the Church celebrates this day of men and women who show us how to live a life of holiness.  Some saints are “official” but most saints are not.  They are our friends, family members, co-workers, members of our Church or religious community.  Saints know that they are counted among the redeemed, know that they are children of God, and know that the only way to follow Jesus is to live out the Beatitudes.  I know many saints.  I think you do too.  Turn to the person next to you and ask them, “Do you want to be a saint?” The answer for all of us should be, Yes…I am already on my way! Amen!
Hoy en día es una de mis fiestas favoritas en el calendario de la Iglesia. Hoy celebramos los muchos hombres y mujeres que nos han precedido en la fe que han vivido una vida que los estados de la Iglesia es digno de ejemplo. Hay tantos hombres y mujeres de fe llena que han vivido vidas normales, pero lo han hecho cosas extraordinarias debido a su amor por el Señor. Ellos han llegado a conocerse como santos. Ahora hay miles de hombres y mujeres que son santos "oficiales", pero tú y yo probablemente sabemos muchos otros hombres y mujeres que han vivido una vida normal, pero lo han hecho cosas extraordinarias debido a su amor por el Señor. Me imagino que cada uno de nosotros podríamos pensar de varias personas entre nuestros amigos y parientes quienes consideraríamos como santos. Amén?

Y por eso, que es un santo? Un santo es un amigo de Dios. Una persona que se ha comprometido a hacer lo correcto por las razones correctas. Una persona que cuida de los demás, que se considera a las necesidades de otros antes que las propias, que se sacrifican y que tratan de ver la bondad en los demás. Esta descripción ciertamente suena como un padre y abuelo ... Amén? Todos estamos llamados a ser santos. Sí, es importante reflexionar sobre la vida de las personas, tales como San Francisco, Santo Domingo, San Ignacio, Santa Teresa, Santa Terese de Jesus, la Madre Teresa, Padre Chaminade y muchos otros que están compartiendo el amor con Dios en el cielo, pero hoy debemos pensar en nosotros mismos, y cómo podemos ser los santos que Dios quiere que seamos.
Así que, ¿cómo podemos crecer en santidad? ¿Cómo podemos ser santos como Dios es santo. La lectura de hoy nos dan una visión de cómo vivir una vida de santidad. ¿Quieres ser santo? Decir Amén si quieres ser santo. Repita después de mí, quiero ser santo !!

Las primeras invitaciones de lectura nos proporciona una imagen maravillosa. Una imagen de todos los que son redimidos por su creencia en Jesucristo. Se trata de llevar blanco- la imagen de la prenda bautismal y se han mantenido fieles a Jesús a través de pruebas y tribulaciones. No pueden dejar de alabar a Dios por Jesucristo, el Cordero que derramó su sangre por nosotros. Cuando me imagino esta escena, pienso en mi madre y abuelas que ya han fallecido, pero que han permanecido fieles a Jesús a través de prueba y tribulación, por medio de las alegrías y los dolores de la vida, que sacrificó mucho por su familia y ahora están cantando las alabanzas de Dios en el cielo. Cuando pienso en esta fiesta pienso en mi mamá y abuelas. ¿Qué piensas de?
En la primera carta de Juan, se nos recuerda que todos somos hijos de Dios, porque Dios nos amó primero. Somos hijos de Dios, no sabemos lo que nos depara el futuro para ninguno de nosotros. Debemos alegrarnos de saber que como hijos de Dios tenemos una relación especial con Dios como nuestro padre y Jesús como nuestro hermano. Cuando sabemos que somos amados y parte de una familia, entonces podemos actuar de una manera que celebra esta relación especial. Cuando sabemos que somos hijos de Dios, nada puede separarnos de esa relación especial. Incluso las dificultades y la muerte no nos separa de esta relación especial. Cuando pienso en algunos de los santos en mi vida que se encontraron con muchas pruebas y muertes dolorosas, pienso en Br. Charles Roggemann, Br. George Dury, P. Richard Knuge, P. John McEnhill, P. Michael Barber. Estos hombres, incluso en su sufrimiento, sabían que eran los hijos de Dios y vivieron sus vidas con ese mensaje. Cuando pienso en esta fiesta, creo que de estos hombres. ¿Qué piensas de?

Y, por último, si hemos de ser santos, entonces debemos vivir nuestras vidas como personas que siguen las Bienaventuranzas como se proclama en el Evangelio de Marcos. Los santos son personas que son pobres de espíritu, que lloran, que sufren, que tienen hambre y sed de justicia, que son misericordiosos, que son puros de corazón, que trabajan por la paz, que son perseguidos, y que se lesionan debido a su fe. Los santos son personas que viven fuera de las bienaventuranzas y que saben en sus vidas que han visto destellos del reino de Dios, por consolar a los tristes, y vivir una vida de humildad, la misericordia y el servicio porque ven a Dios en su vida cotidiana y trabajar para lograr la paz en todas las situaciones. Cuando pienso en la gente que vive las bienaventuranzas en mi vida Pienso en personas como mi tía Alice, Laura Friscia, Becky Swofford, Carol LaMont, Dianne Mistelkse, Joanne Bolooki, Br. Tom Pieper, Br. Brandon Paluch, Sr. Nicole Trahan. A diferencia de los otros que me recuerdan a santos, esta lista es de los santos vivientes. Las personas que viven vidas comunes y que tratan de hacer cosas extraordinarias para Dios. Hay gente Bienaventuranzas nuestro alrededor. Estoy seguro de que ustedes tienen un poco en su familia y en esta Iglesia. ¿De Quién piensa que cuando se piensa en la gente Bienaventuranzas?
Por lo tanto, estoy muy contenta de que la Iglesia celebra este día de hombres y mujeres que nos muestran cómo vivir una vida de santidad. Algunos santos son "oficial", pero la mayoría de los santos no son. Ellos son nuestros amigos, familiares, compañeros de trabajo, miembros de nuestra Iglesia o comunidad religiosa. Santos saben que se cuentan entre los redimidos, saben que son hijos de Dios, y saben que la única manera de seguir a Jesús es vivir las Bienaventuranzas. Sé que muchos santos. Creo que tú también. Gire a la persona a tu lado y preguntarles, "¿Quieres ser un santo?" La respuesta para todos nosotros debe ser, ... Yo ya estoy en mi camino! ¡Amén!
 
 
 
 


 
 


1 comment:

  1. Coming to Florida and to Orlando? If you have time call or text, I'd love to see you even if it is just for coffee!

    ReplyDelete