Sunday, August 30, 2015

Confession

Okay, so I was not going to post again until next week, but something happened to me today that I feel like I just need to express to the universe and to all of you who may be reading!

This morning before Mass at the Chapel in the neighborhood, I was simply going to concelebrate the Mass with Fr. Raymundo and he was going to introduce me to the community.  The Mass was scheduled for 8:30am.  At 8:35am we were still in the sacristy and there was a flurry of activity with everyone trying to get things in place for the already (by American standards) late Mass.  An older woman came into the sacristy and asked Fr. Raymundo if he could hear her confession.  He pointed towards me and the woman came towards me.  My eyes got big and my heart starting pounding rapidly.  I could not possibly hear her confession.   I thought my Spanish was not good enough for something like the sacrament of Reconciliation.  I had to tell her in Spanish that I would not be able to hear her confession.  She looked downcast and hurt.  Eventually Fr. Raymundo took her aside and heard her confession.

 So, what's the problem?  Well, I feel like I am in a moral dilemma here because I did not offer her the sacrament, and I also think that others in the sacristy did not look kindly on my actions. So.... here's what I am struggling with.  I am an official minister of the Church who is entrusted with administering the sacraments.  A person in need came to me but because of my Spanish capability I was not able to assist her.  I think of myself as a moderate in my theological beliefs.  I think that in the sacrament of Reconciliation the priest should be able to understand what the penitent is saying so that he can give a penance that is appropriate, not to mention be able to say the words of absolution in the language that the penitent can understand.  Because I could not do any of the aforementioned things, in  conscience I could not hear her confession.  Was I wrong? Should I have just let the woman confess, not knowing exactly what she was confessing and give her absolution? Was it more important that she wanted to confess or more important that I understand what she was confessing?  If it doesn't matter that the priest understands, then why go to a priest in the first place?  Why not be like our Protestant brothers and sisters and go directly to God?  I am also trying to balance my own feelings about being put in this position in the first place and what is commonplace in Mexico.  So, I am left wondering, what was the right thing to do???  Did I make an insensitive cultural mistake? Did I uphold the Church's understanding of sacramental theology over and above pastoral practice?  Yes, I am in a dilemma.... any thoughts?

14 comments:

  1. You did the right thing Father John, hopefully Father Raymundo explained to the woman that your refusal was simply because of the respect you have for the Sacrament and how seriously you take it and therefore you need to be able to understand her and best help her to not repeat her mistakes. The people you are working with need to step up and help you become more fluent in Spanish, I am sure you have a good basis for learning! God bless you for jumping in and doing your best. You will be in my prayers, let me know when you are next in Florida, I miss you! Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kay, I'm still trying to sort this out. Hopefully if this happens in the future, I will have more Spanish and be able to say what needs to be said, even if its basic. Since you never know what someone is going to Confess, I guess I just felt unprepared to say even the most basic of things that would have offered support for her. It's definitely a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John...this is a test. I'm having problems publishing in Google...Gini

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buenos dias, John!
    Regarding your dilemma, the key issue here is that the woman not feel rejected and properly understood the reason that you declined her confession. It would be morally irresponsible to offer someone confession with a lack of fluency in the language. The outcome could have been spiritually destructive. Seems as though Fr. Raymundo should have supported you in communicating this to her. Is it possible to have a conversation with the priests in your community to establish what constitutes appropriate vs. inappropriate duties on your part, until your Spanish improves?
    Wishing you well...
    Gini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gini! I've been studying the sacrament of Reconciliation in Spanish so if this happens in the future I might be better prepared. Having heard confessions for a number of years, I know that you can get anything under the sun in terms of what a person wants to express....I just need more vocabulary at this point in time.

      Delete
  5. Ditto, Gini. Note to self: sign in before composing!!

    Were you right? Probably, but there is a little room on the left.
    Fr Raymundo may have delegated to you because (a) he trusts your ability to comprende verbal and non-verbal communication, (b) he knows the woman's practices and what's in her heart and (c) the Holy Father's recent authority delegation. You got this - trust yourself and fall backwards into the arms of your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Erin! I am learning much through this experience... and with the year of mercy coming upon us, I do need to get up to speed on this sacrament. I love this sacrament and I want to do this justice as a vessel of mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings from sunny - cooling slowly into Fall - Pacifica!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Had two posts started - both GONE - hitting too many keys here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back again! Love Erin's comment about falling backwards into the arms of faith - my quote for the month! Truthfully - when I show up for confession or someone like ME - it took a LOT of courage and I am there - FINALLY - for the priest to give me major guidance and back-slapping encouragement - the penance part is secondary - although there - you have to now the culture. I'm sure Fr. Raymundo explained that to her.......but confession - it's too important - NOT to understand! I'm with you! I still remember one time & yes - you better understand what I am saying because I also need to understand & listen to what you are saying!
    Anyway - miss you & Gene sending hugs & AMEN to you in Mexico!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to hear from you Marisa! Thanks for your words, and yes I want to know and understand what the person is saying so that I can give appropriate guidance or at least ask the right questions that might allow the person to reflect deeper upon the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ecclesia supplet...either and both ways.

    Tom G.

    ReplyDelete