Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving

Image result for thanksgiving 2016

Well, we celebrated a traditional American Thanksgiving here in Queretaro.  The Brothers from Puebla came to share in the day with us.  Also in attendance was Dr. Rita Fermin,(our teacher for the Education course we took during the year)  her nephew and our cook Yolanda. .  Yours truly prepared the meal.  It turned out great, but not without its difficulties!

One of the Brothers told me that they sold turkeys in the local supermarket...great! We can go shopping for all the elements of the meal on Wednesday because it would not be like the day before Thanksgiving in the US! So we went to the supermarket and I started checking off my list.  We found the turkeys and they were FROZEN!!! Ugh! What to do to defrost a 22lb turkey?  No Jimmy Dean sausage for the stuffing...chorizo improvision...so my stuffing was definitely Mexican American! After we made it home with all the goodies, I started thawing the turkey in cold water, carefully changing the water every 30 minutes.  By 10pm I put the turkey in the refrigerator and went to bed because I was getting up at 4am to prepare the stuffing and stuff the turkey.  When I woke up, I placed the turkey back in cold water and proceeded to make my "new" Mexican American stuffing.  Sorry Mom! By the time I finished everything the turkey was thawed and was ready to be placed in the oven...which uses Celsius and not Fahrenheit...more pressure! The rest of the morning I leisurely prepared all the other sides and started to gather the food for the social before.  The meal made it on to the table at 2:15pm and all ate and were satisfied.  We did not have pumpkin pie, but I was able to find a pecan pie that was kind of okay.  I even brought back cranberry sauce from the US so that the meal would be complete.  The Brothers really enjoyed themselves and the Brothers from Puebla took home a doggie bag with them.  I think we now have a new tradition here in Mexico!

No comments:

Post a Comment