Monday, February 1, 2016

Perpetual Vows

We had a very busy and productive weekend here in Mexico.  I arrived back in Mexico on Tuesday night and began to prepare for the weekend of the many meetings, guests, and activities that we would experience in preparation and execution of the Perpetual Vows of Br. Juan Manuel Alzamar.

I had a Sector Council meeting on Thursday morning from 10-1 where we discussed some of the ongoing issues in the Sector.  It was a productive meeting and I am hoping that some of the procedures that encouraged us to follow for meetings will help us be more efficient and communicative in the future.  Later that afternoon I had another meeting from 4-6:30pm with the committee that is working on the educational project.  Again, a great meeting with great people who really believe in this project.  We are encountering some financial obstacles with the government so we are looking at some alternative options for the foreseeable future.  The Provincial, Fr. Marty, arrived on Thursday afternoon to receive the Perpetual Vows on Saturday.

Friday was a day of meetings with me, Marty, and some of the Mexican brothers.  I actually had to translate! I think I did okay, but there were times when I had to ask other questions and clarify because I did not directly know some of the words the Brothers were saying.  So, yes, I was very tired after all of that!  We held the rehearsal for the Perpetual Vows on Friday eve and I had a role in the ceremony.  I read the parts in Spanish that normally the Provincial reads.  It was an honor to be able to do that at this ceremony.  We also had a little celebration Friday evening for Br. Juan and many people were in attendance- nothing like cerveza y tequila para hacer una buena fiesta!

Starting on Thursday many guests starting arriving.  We had a full house from Thursday-Sunday.  A few other Brothers came from the US and the Brothers from Puebla came as well.  Family members of Br. Juan's took a 15 hour road trip from the south to be in attendance.  I am thinking that all together we may have been 20-25 people in the house....and while I love a party, I am very happy that they have all left!

Saturday morning we had another meeting of all the Brothers in the Sector of Mexico to discuss a few topics and make some decisions about some future events.  The Perpetual Vows were held at the parish at noon and there were approximately 250 people in attendance.  The Mass was very beautiful.  Br. Juan processed in with his family, followed by the Brothers and the celebrants for the Mass.  Br. Juan sat on one side with family, and the Brothers sat on the other side.  Before Br. Juan professed his perpetual vows he lie prostrate before the altar while we sang the Litany of the Saints.  Then, he went to his mother and father and received their blessing and then he approached the altar and professed his Perpetual Vows and received his gold ring- a sign of our perpetual commitment in the Society of Mary (Compania de Maria).  Directly after, Juan proceded in front of the altar to receive the blessing from his Brothers.  All of us gathered around him and extended our hands in blessing while Fr. Raymundo prayed the blessing.  After the blessing, all of us, one by one, welcomed him into the community with a hug and a word of hope.  After this ritual, Br. Juan symbolically left behind his family, and sat in the midst of the Brothers.  All involved were moved by the ceremony.  For me, whenever I attend a Final Vow ceremony, I think of my own commitment and my own journey and pray that I will continue to be faithful to my community.

After the Mass, we were outside under a tent and were treated to a Mexican fiesta....everyone from the Church came to the fiesta.  Teenagers from the youth group served everyone and we were also treated to live entertainment with a mariachi band, and later, we were treated to parishioners who danced specific folk dances from the region where Br. Juan was from.  I finally left the party around 4:15pm because I still needed to prepare my homily for Mass the next day. 

Saturday evening, we once again gathered to share in a meal and share in some good times with one another.  Sunday morning I was the presider for the 8:30am Mass and Fr. Quentin and Fr. Marty concelebrated.  Many of the Brothers were at the Mass, in addition to many of the other guests.  All in all it was a great weekend.  A weekend of laughter, sharing, community, language, prayer, food, drink, and Brotherhood.  I felt blessed to be part of all of this.  At the end of the week, several of us will travel south to attend a Mass of Thanksgiving at the parish where Br. Juan grew up.  You can say that it will be a "Mexican road trip"! I will let you know how it all goes....
Br. Juan with mom and dad

The Brothers with Br. Juan

The Cake (It was delicious and worth every calorie)

The Mariachi Band

Homily Fourth Sunday of Ordinary Time
Morning Church! Does anyone here want to be loved? If so, turn to the person next to you and say, I want to be loved...Does anyone here want to be known? If so, turn to the person next to you and say, I want people to know me.  To be loved, and to be known are two fundamental human needs that we all share.  Have there been times in your life when you did not feel loved?  Say, amen if you know that feeling…Amen.  Have there been times when you did not feel known, or felt misunderstood?  Say, amen if you know that feeling….Amen.  Yes, we are all in good company here in this Church and the Word of God gives us some answers today to these questions.  Do you want to know the answers?  Then pay attention! And stop sleeping!
When there are times in my life when I do not feel loved or known, I think of the words from the prophet Jeremiah. God says to Jerimiah, before you were formed in the womb I knew you, before you were born I dedicated you, a prophet to the nations I appointed you.  From the very first moment of my life, God knew me, loved me, and had a plan for me.  Those words are very consoling, Amen?  God spoke those words to Jeremiah, but God speaks them to each one of us.  All of us are special in God’s eyes.  God knows your name.  God cares about you.  God has a plan for you.  In times of doubt and confusion, those words are hopeful, Amen?  I know these words intellectually and personally too.  Last year I had an experience where I felt unloved and misunderstood by several people who were close to me.  It was very difficult to endure.  The words of the prophet helped me to understand that I am never unloved, I am never unknown, and I am never without a purpose, because God always loves me.  God always knows my name and understands me.  God always has a purpose for me.  So repeat after me, God loves me…. God knows me….God has a purpose for me.  That is a truth that we can live by, Amen?
The Word of God is important in our lives because it gives us a way to follow the Lord.  One interesting fact about the Word of God, is that besides the mention of the name of God or Jesus, the word love is mentioned the most times in both the Old and New Testaments.  Love is mentioned more than faith, pray, and sin….so, if we were to say what is important to do as a follower of Jesus it would be first and foremost to love.  Today in our second reading from Saint Paul to the Corinthians we hear the very familiar words of what love is, and what love is not.  Paul reminds us that love is the greatest thing that will last and the most important thing for those who are believers.  Love has a way of softening our hard edges and ideas.  Love and mercy go hand in hand, Amen?  So, if you want to be loved, then you must love.  If you want to experience a loving relationship with friends, family, wife, or husband, then you must become love.  Let’s try something.  I will replace the word love with my name in this reading, and you do the same.  If I want to be loved, I have to be love.  John is patient and kind, he is not jealous, he is not inflated or pompous, he is not rude, he does not seek his own interests, he is not quick tempered.  He does not brood over injuries, he does not rejoice over wrongdoings but rejoices with the truth.  He bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and he endures all things.  So now love is not an intellectual exercise, but a reality check for my life.  When you replaced love with your name, could you say that all those statements were true for you?  If I am honest, I have to say that I have some things to work on in my own life.  If you want to be loved, then love.  If you want to be loved, then be love.  I think we all have some homework to do, Amen?
Finally the Gospel lets me know that Jesus too felt unknown and misunderstood in his life.  Directly after Jesus proclaimed the prophecy from Isaiah, the people identified with him and they liked him.  They thought he was going to be a Messiah we released them from Roman rule.  But Jesus had something else in mind.  He was a Messiah who would care for the poor, seek out the lost and forsaken, speak to the Gentiles, associate with sinners, honor women, and point out the hypocrisy of religion.  Who was he to do this?  Wasn’t he the son of the carpenter? Just who did Jesus think he was?   Yes, Jesus was misunderstood and mislabeled.  I am sure Jesus felt very badly about this.  One minute, the people are excited about his message, and then in the next minute they want to kill him.  I am sure that Jesus remembered the words of the prophet Jeremiah in that moment, before you were formed in the womb I knew you, before you were born I dedicated you, a prophet to the nations I appointed you.  In order for Jesus to continue in his ministry and mission, he needed to remember that he was loved, known, and had a purpose. 
So, do you want to be loved? Then love.  Do you want to be known? Then go out of your way to know others.  When you love others and know who you are, then you will know your purpose in life.  It worked for Jeremiah.  It worked for Jesus.  It can work for you and it can for me.   Amen?
Buenos días Iglesia! ¿Alguien aquí quiere ser amado? Si es así, gire a la persona a tu lado y decir, yo quiero ser amado ... ¿Alguien aquí quiere ser conocido? Si es así, gire a la persona a tu lado y decir: Quiero ser conocida.  Para ser amado, y ser conocidos son dos necesidades humanas fundamentales que todos compartimos. ¿Se momentos de su vida fue cuando no sientes amado? Decir Amén si sabes este sentimiento... Amén. ¿Ha habido momentos en que no te sientes conocido, o se sintieron mal entendido? Decir Amén si sabes este sentimiento ... .Amen. , todos estamos en buena compañía aquí en esta Iglesia y la Palabra de Dios nos da algunas respuestas a estas preguntas hoy. ¿Quieres saber las respuestas? Entonces presta atención! Y dejar de dormir!
Cuando hay momentos en mi vida en que no me siento amado o conocido pienso en las palabras del profeta Jeremías. Dios dice a Jeremías, antes de que te formase en el vientre te conocí, y antes que nacieras, te consagré profeta de las naciones te señalada. Desde el primer momento de mi vida, Dios me conocía, me amó, y tenía un plan para mí. Esas palabras son muy consoladora, Amén? Dios habló estas palabras a Jeremías, pero Dios les habla a cada uno de nosotros. Todos somos especiales a los ojos de Dios. Dios sabe su nombre. Dios se preocupa por ti. Dios tiene un plan para ti. En momentos de duda y confusión, esas palabras tienen la esperanza, Amén? Sé que estas palabras intelectual y personalmente también. El año pasado tuve una experiencia donde no me sentí amado y entendido mal por varias personas que estaban cerca de mí. Fue muy difícil de soportar. Las palabras del profeta me ayudaron a entender que yo nunca estoy sin amor, yo nunca soy desconocido, y yo nunca estoy sin un propósito, porque Dios me ama siempre. Dios siempre sabe mi nombre y me entiende. Dios siempre tiene un propósito para mí. Así que repite después de mí, Dios me ama .... Dios me conoce ... Dios tiene un propósito para mí. Esa es una verdad que podemos vivir , Amén?
La Palabra de Dios es importante en nuestras vidas porque nos da una manera de seguir al Señor. Un hecho interesante acerca de la Palabra de Dios, es que además de la mención del nombre de Dios o Jesús, la palabra amor se menciona más veces en el Antiguo y Nuevo Testamento, casi cinco ciento cincuenta veces El amor se menciona más de fe, orar, y el pecado ... ., entonces, si tuviéramos que decir lo que es importante hacer como un seguidor de Jesús sería, ante todo, a amar. Hoy en nuestra segunda lectura de San Pablo a los Corintios que escuchamos las palabras muy familiares de lo que es el amor, y lo que el amor no es. Pablo nos recuerda que el amor es la cosa más grande que va a durar y lo más importante para aquellos que son creyentes. El amor tiene una manera de suavizar nuestras bordes duros e ideas. El amor y la misericordia van de la mano, Amén? Así que, si quieres ser amado, luego tienes que amor. Si quieres experimentar una relación amorosa con amigos, familia, esposa, o esposo, entonces debe convertirse en amor. Vamos a intentar algo. Voy a sustituir la palabra amor con mi nombre en esta lectura, y hacer lo mismo. Si quiero ser amado, tengo que ser el amor. Juan es comprensivo, Juan es  benigno, Él no tiene envidia, no presumido ni se envanece, Juan no es grosero o egoísta, no se irrita ni guarda rencor, Juan no se alegra con la injusticia, sino goza con la verdad,  Juan disculpa sin límites, confía sin límites, espera sin límites, y soporta sin límites. Así que ahora el amor no es un ejercicio intelectual, sino una revisión de la realidad de mi vida. Cuando se ha sustituido el amor con tu nombre, ¿podría decir que todas esas declaraciones eran verdad para ti? Si soy sincero, tengo que decir que tengo algunas cosas para trabajar en mi propia vida. Si quieres ser amado, entonces amor. Yo creo que todos tenemos un poco de tarea que hacer, Amén?
Finalmente el Evangelio me hace saber que Jesús se sentía demasiado desconocido e incomprendido en su vida. Directamente después de que Jesús proclamó la profecía de Isaías, el pueblo identificado con él y le gustaba. Ellos pensaban que iba a ser un Mesías que los liberó de la dominación romana. Pero Jesús tenía otra cosa en mente. Él era un Mesías que cuidar de los pobres, buscar a los perdidos y abandonados, hablar a los gentiles, asociado con los pecadores, honrar a las mujeres, y señalar la hipocresía de la religión. ¿Quién era él para hacer esto? ¿No era el hijo del carpintero? Así que dijo Jesús que era? Sí, Jesús fue mal entendido y mal etiquetados. Estoy seguro de que Jesús se sentía muy mal por esto. En un momento, la gente es muy entusiasmado con su mensaje, y luego en el siguiente minuto que quieren matarlo. Estoy seguro de que Jesús recordó las palabras del profeta Jeremías en ese momento, antes de que te formase en el vientre te conocí, y antes que nacieras, te consagré profeta de las naciones te señalada. Para que Jesús continúe en su ministerio y misión, que tenía que recordar que él fue amado, conocido, y tenía un propósito.
Así que, ¿quieres ser amado? Entonces amor. ¿Quieres ser conocido? A continuación, salir de su manera de conocer a los demás. Cuando amas a los demás y sabes quién eres, entonces usted sabrás que tu propósito en la vida. Funcionó para Jeremías. Funcionó para Jesús. Puede ser exitoso para ti y para mí, Amen?




No comments:

Post a Comment